Thursday, October 22, 2009

September Trip to Idaho

We were originally going to drive to Idaho, but seeming how our dear little Grace has made it pretty apparent that she's not a fan of being in her car seat for any length of time, combined with some frequent flier miles--flying seemed like a much more logical choice. Every one kept saying, "Oh, it'll be so easy. They sleep the whole way. Blah, blah, blah." Well, it wasn't horrible. But my children don't sleep the whole way of anything. Especially the girl. WAY too much to see and do. Oh well--I'd give them a three out of five for traveling skills so far. We'll keep working on it.

It was a great trip--Ashley's (my sister--the oldest) family was there as well, so that was fun. They live in Bloomington, IN, and since kids are everywhere now--real visits have come few and far between. And Todd's (middle child) family lives in Boise, so we got to spend time with them, too.

One of the most important things while we were there, was that my (maternal) grandfather--the twins' great-grandfather, a retired minister, was able to perform their baby dedication and baptism ceremony at my folks' church. The only way I can describe these kids is--they are a total gift from God. We wanted children--even one--so badly, and after all the sadness we went through to get this far, and how blessed we feel now--it only feels right to "give" them right back to the One we were blessed by. Liam wore Sean's Grandpa Joe's baptism gown, and Grace wore my mom's gown that my great-grandmother made for her. I'm such a sentimental sap--I can't even describe how awesome this was to me.

It was hard not to cry, of course. Well, at least I tried to hold it back. Liam and Grace both let it out when Grandpa touched their heads with water. Made for a lot of laughing. It was especially moving that so many of our extended family members were there to support us, too. My cousin Joy and her family, including her little guy born three days before ours, were even there. (They live in Minnesota.)

As we had just listed the house for sale the day before we left, I extended mine and the twins' trip to two weeks there. Sean went back home after a week--had to return to work. So, while he got five nights of uninterrupted sleep, I can say I managed two babies. My awesome mom had to get up a couple times at night to help, but I really did do it on my own a few times.

(There is a mom in our multiples class that is "alone" to raise her twin boys--bless her. I have absolutely no idea how she can do it. On that note, I'm still waiting for Sean to realize just how lucky he was for those five nights, and come doting on me with jewelry, spa days, etc. But then I keep having to be appreciative for the countless nights he gets up with me to feed babies--there are a lot of men who don't see that as their responsibility. . . love my man!)

Any way, the trip was full of lots of visiting with countless friends and family, and I enjoyed it all. Was great to see my old friends Tami and Cindy (and their families) that I grew up with. The Vehlows have always been like second parents, etc., etc.

We got my mom a quick turnaround plane ticket to help me get home, and all ended well.

http://picasaweb.google.com/mrsbattle1/IdahoTrip?feat=directlink

No comments:

Post a Comment