Monday, June 22, 2009

Happy Father's Day.

My whole life growing up, I knew I had a special dad. He was kind, gentle, a quiet but strong protector--always meant and still does mean the world to me. In the awkward adolescence stage, we went on "dates," which always made me feel on top of the world. He taught me things--most trying was probably learning the stick-shift. Even thought I know I made him crazy numerous times, he gritted his teeth and muscled through it. I'm fairly certain--at least don't remember--my dad ever raising his voice to me, and yet I always respected him. I've cherished each and every moment, then and now.

As I got older and started dating, I compared every guy to my dad. Most fell very short. If they didn't mirror a lot of my dad's qualities--they were made to hit the road. Most did fairly shortly--I kind of feel sorry for them now. They didn't even stand a chance! One final sticking point my dad--the all-knowing handy man--always pointed out to my sister and I was that, "If we can't marry someone who can fix everything like he can, we'd better marry someone who could afford to pay someone else to fix everything like he could." I listened!

Not only can Sean fix everything like my dad, but he works hard to provide for his family. He's conscientious and kind, and loved by many. He's always treated me with respect, and is quick to complement. (What woman doesn't need that?!)

But what's making me fall in love all over again with him is watching him now as a dad. He's SSSSSSOOOOOOO loving with both kids, and I can tell already he has that extremely important father-daughter bond with Grace that I so hoped would be there. I do believe it's critical for how well-grounded women turn out to be--that relationship with their father growing up. Grace is set! Sean worries when they're feeling bad or fussy, and he spends extra time to make sure their every need is met. He holds them "just because," isn't afraid to change poopy diapers, and races home from work each day just so he can help and hold. He's proud to show them off in public, and quick to stress when deciphering each little cry.

Happy Father's Day, to my dad and the dad I married. I couldn't be a luckier gal.

1 comment:

  1. We love Sean too and am so happy that you have each other. What a blessed family!
    Kathryn

    ReplyDelete